Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Wander

When traveling, I love to meet different people. It's interesting to come across people who are from the same place(s) I have lived, and I enjoy finding common ground, of course. My favorite, however, is meeting someone from a place I know very little about.

I love the connection that happens between or among folks who appear - on the surface - to have very little in common. I love watching the interactions start out formal, polite, and reserved, then evolve into teasing and laughing, punctuated with hugs as kisses.

Note: Europeans are kissy. The double cheek kiss is my favorite greeting and I'm getting a lot of those this week. Yay!

The hardest part about meeting new people, for me, is saying goodbye. As I write this early on Thursday, we have already had to bid farewell to 2 of our Spanish partners and it already led to tears.

The more I travel, the more I learn. The more I wander, the less lost I feel. The more I travel, the more I want to travel.

I believe pretty strongly that everyone should travel outside their comfort zone, preferably outside of their home country, at least once. The ways my mind and heart have opened and accepted others is a gift I don't think I could have gotten any other way.

-*-*-*-*-*-*
Of course this song talks about wandering in a different sense (another reason English is difficult to learn!), but it reminds me of the music I grew up listening to.



~~~~~~~~~~
I am participating in the Blogging from A-Z challenge for April 2012. Today's post is for the letter W.

Click the badge below for more info: